Breast Augmentation in San Francisco
Breastfeeding, extensive weight loss, and aging can all cause your breasts to appear deflated, or you may be unhappy with the size of your naturally small breasts. Breast augmentation is performed using implants to increase breast size, improve breast shape, restore breast volume, and/or correct breast asymmetry. It can be performed as a standalone procedure or combined with other surgical methods for the ultimate breast enhancement.
What Breast Augmentation Can Do for You
Breast Implant Options
Women who desire dramatic and voluptuous curves, inconspicuous and natural enhancements, or something in between can consult with Dr. Henry during their initial consultation to determine which breast augmentation options will best meet their needs.
- Consists of an outer silicone shell filled with silicone gel
- Produces a more natural look and feel
- FDA approved for women 21 years of age or older
- Have a lower risk of rupture and rippling
- Consists of an outer silicone shell filled with a saltwater solution
- Can create a firm and round appearance
- FDA approved for women 18 years of age or older
- Advanced structure: a series of silicone outer shells and separate internal saline chambers
- Looks and feels almost identical to silicone implants
- No silent rupture; no MRIs needed
- Lower risk of implant rupture
- Lower risk of implant wrinkling
- Located along the crease beneath the breast
- Preferred by many surgeons for the ability to accommodate any implant type and reduce the risk of complications
- More visibility of the breast pocket
- Scarring may occur but can be hidden by clothing
- Goes around the areola of the breast
- Any scarring that develops is likely to blend in with the edges of the areolas
- Allows for moderate control over implant placement but has an increased risk of changes in nipple sensation
- Only performed using saline implants
- Within the armpit
- Leaves no scarring on the breasts
- Can only be used with saline implants
- Implants are inserted under the pectoral muscles
- Implant edges are less noticeable
- Lower risk of capsular contracture and rippling
- Longer recovery period
- Implants are placed over the breast tissue and on top of the pectoral muscle
- Implants may be more noticeable
- Less tissue trauma
- Shorter recovery period
Breast Augmentation Concerns
Most patients take about two weeks to recover from breast augmentation, although many individuals return to work after one week. To ensure proper recovery, patients should avoid strenuous physical activities and exercises for at least six weeks.
Scars will begin to fade within four to six weeks as your breasts start to settle.
The cost of your breast augmentation surgery may vary based on implant type, incisions, and other factors. The procedure may not be covered by insurance. Dr. Henry can determine the cost and financing option best suited for you during your scheduled appointment.
Some discomfort may occur following your breast augmentation procedure. You may experience some bruising, swelling, and tenderness during your recovery period, and your breasts will be bandaged in a compression garment to minimize swelling. Dr. Henry will prescribe you pain medication to reduce the discomfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to quit smoking before undergoing breast augmentation?
Smoking can increase the risk of complications during your surgery as well as interfere with your healing process. Patients will be asked to quit smoking for at least three to five weeks prior to their surgery and at least eight weeks following the procedure.
What are some risks and possible side effects of breast augmentation surgery?
As with most procedures, breast augmentation side effects may include bleeding, infection, changes in breast sensation, scarring, capsular contracture, implant rupture, and other complications.
Can breast augmentation help with sagging?
While breast augmentation can enhance breast volume, unfortunately, it cannot lift sagging breasts. Patients who wish to address their sagging breasts can combine their breast augmentation procedure with breast lift surgery to improve the placement of their breasts.
Can breast augmentation affect breastfeeding?
Implants and incisions do not generally interfere with the ability to breastfeed. Women who have undergone breast augmentation surgery can usually breastfeed without complication. If this is a concern of yours, be sure to discuss it with Dr. Henry.
Dr. Kimberly Henry offers breast enlargement surgery with aesthetically appealing results. Contact Dr. Henry today to schedule a consultation.
Photo GalleryView Before & After
Get in touch with Dr. Henry by filling out the form below with any questions or comments you have.