We field many different questions from patients at our plastic surgery centers. Many of these questions involve the costs associated with surgery and the kinds of surgeries that would benefit them. One of the most frequent questions that we get asked, however, is related to scarring after surgery is performed. This makes sense given how much surgical scars can impact a person’s overall appearance and even the clothes that he or she wears.
We’d like to take a few moments right now to go over some of the basics of scar tissue after plastic surgery so that you understand what is bound to happen after you undergo a surgical procedure.
How common is scarring after surgery?
Scarring is a fact of surgery. You see, scar tissue is comprised of collagen and it is merely the body’s natural healing response to trauma. Given, some scars are more prominent or noticeable than others, but there will be scars after you undergo surgery of any kind.
Are there any risk factors when it comes to scarring?
Yes, there are a several factors that can affect the degree of scarring you experience. These include:
- Your age
- Your ethnicity
- The size of the incision
- The depth of the incision
You and your cosmetic plastic surgeon can discuss the above during the consultation process, which will help give you a good understanding of the risks of scarring that may be ahead as a result of surgery.
How can I reduce the amount of scarring after I undergo surgery?
Whether you undergo rhinoplasty or a major body sculpting surgery, there are many things that you can do to prevent major scarring and improve your overall healing experience.
- Avoid smoking – Smoking can have an adverse affect on healing and scarring, so be sure to avoid smoking both before and after surgery.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages – Like smoking, alcoholic beverages can have an adverse affect on your healing experience, so follow your surgeon’s orders and abstain.
- Follow post-operative instructions to the letter – Your surgeon will give you detailed instructions for care after you undergo surgery. These are intended to improve overall healing experience and prevent major scarring.
- Stay well hydrated – Hydration is essential for overall wellness and proper body function, so drink water regularly.
- Eat healthy – You are what you eat, so be sure to eat healthy to promote overall wellness. Fresh fruits and vegetables and smart choices are always best.
Non-surgical Alternatives to Consider
If you are very concerned about surgical scarring, you may want to consider various non-surgical methods for aesthetic enhancement that may allow you to meet your cosmetic goals. These are not always possible for certain cosmetic needs, but they are worth discussing with your surgeon.
During the consultation process, we will be sure to go over all surgical and non-surgical procedures that may be of benefit to you. This will help empower you so that you make strong decisions regarding overall wellness.
Learn More About Cosmetic Surgery Treatments
If you would like to learn more about all of your options for aesthetic enhancement, be sure to contact our cosmetic surgery centers serving San Francisco and Sacramento today. Our entire team looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve the best possible aesthetic results.