It is important to remember that all surgical procedures result in some degree of scarring, even those that are ultimately intended to improve a person’s appearance. While this is undeniably true, in the case of breast augmentation many women feel that the enhancements made to the size and shape of their breasts more than compensate for any scarring that may occur as a result of their breast augmentation surgery. Through today’s advancements in breast surgery techniques, breast implants can be placed through smaller, more subtle incisions than ever before. To further reduce the appearance of scars, San Francisco plastic surgeon Kimberly Henry will make discreet incisions. Because of this, patients can expect to experience minimal scarring; if a patient should feel self-conscious about their appearance after surgery, there are steps to reduce the appearance of even these small scars.
How to Reduce the Appearance of Scars after Breast Augmentation
Before undergoing surgery, it is vital that our San Francisco breast augmentation patients first understand that any scarring resulting after surgery is permanent and cannot be removed through plastic surgery or any other means. That being said, most scars will fade and flatten over time. For our patients in San Francisco, breast augmentation scars can be improved through these steps:
- Post-operative care: The most important step patients can take to ensure proper healing and to minimize the appearance of scarring after breast augmentation is to diligently follow Dr. Kimberly Henry’s post-operative instructions.
- Silicone sheeting or banding: Silicone sheeting and bandages can reduce the thickness of scars. Silicone bandages, sheeting, gel, or cream should be applied to the problem area daily for best results.
- Cortisone cream: Cortisone cream may soften scars. This softening may result in the scar shrinking in size. Cortisone cream should not be applied until the wound has healed.
- Pressure bandages: Pressure bandages may help flatten scars. These pressure bandages must be worn every day, and it may take months before results are seen.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is thought to reduce scar tissue that may form around the breast implant. Proper dosage of the vitamin E supplement will be determined after surgery.
- Skin resurfacing: Dr. Kimberly Henry specializes in scar repair. Laser skin resurfacing as well as dermabrasion are two procedures that may be used to improve the appearance of scars after breast augmentation.
- Scarguard®: Scarguard® is a popular scar treatment that combines vitamin E, cortisone, and silicone into a single product.
- Time: It is important to have realistic expectations. It can take up to a year for a scar to take on its permanent appearance. The scar may start out firm and pink, but will gradually fade over time.
- Massage: Massaging your scars daily helps to soften the scar tissue and improves circulation to the scarred skin.
Contact Dr. Kimberly Henry Today
If you are considering breast augmentation or have already undergone breast augmentation and would like to know more about how to reduce the appearance of scars, please contact Dr. Kimberly Henry’s plastic surgery practice in San Francisco today. Dr. Kimberly Henry and her skilled staff would be happy to answer any questions you may have.